[aprssig] Cleaning up the Global APRS Satellite ground station network?- New Symbol

steve at dimse.com steve at dimse.com
Tue Aug 8 11:53:44 EDT 2017

> On Aug 7, 2017, at 11:57 PM, Kenneth Finnegan <kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I thought the satellite guys were going to set up their own APRS-IS network with different dedup semantics so they could get their vanity satellite bounce online even if they were near another sat-gate. What ever happened to that project?  Attaching to a specific set of APRS-IS servers seems like a much more effective way to filter the network than to try and pattern match stations by *any* metric suggested.

I don't remember that ever being a serious proposal, I certainly don't support that. Even if I missed the proposal, it is a lot of work, no one has stepped forward, and even if someone did create a separate APRS-sat IS you need the compliance of all the satgate operators to QSY, which would get back into the issue of requiring changes from a lot of people to get the desired result.

Steve K4HG