[aprssig] It's that time again. (at least consider an EV)

Peter Laws N5UWY n5uwy at arrl.net
Wed Apr 5 16:43:51 EDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 2:56 PM, KF4LVZ <aprssigZbr6 at acarver.net> wrote:

> Maryland is a *tiny* state.  You're #42 out of 50 by land area.  A lot
> of people have commutes  that are much longer than 15 miles in those big
> states.  Half the people here at work commute at least 30 miles one-way.
>  A third commute over 50 miles because housing costs don't let them live
> closer.  And this goes hand-in-hand with....

I'm in Oklahoma - about 12x the size of Maryland -- and have a ~23
mile round-trip commute.  If I worked in Nearby Large City, my round
trip would go to ~67 miles, still within a Leaf's range.  And that's
without plugging in at work.

There will ALWAYS be people who can't use a car with an 80-mile range
between full charges but MOST people in the USA could easily do that.

"But what if I want to take a trip?" they breathlessly exclaim.  Rent
a gas car.

But hey, if you can't reconcile the fact that you could easily live
within a Leaf's 80-mile range between full charges (without changing
your lifestyle) for 50 weeks a year because of that 500-mile trip you
take the other two weeks, then just keep on doing what you're doing.
One less electric car isn't going to make any difference to the
atmosphere.