[aprssig] IGATE message routing bug?

Jim Alles kb3tbx at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 14:21:01 EST 2016

Jason said a lot that I totally agree with, and I think we are getting
closer to understanding that there is something that would hold real value,
now and in the future, and that is to assemble a sequence of operation
document. Not a contract specification, or an international standard, but
something that describes how the APRS is supposed to work, what options
there are, and what the trade-offs might be. And help eliminate the
surprises.

from his last paragraph:
"and bringing tropospheric ducting into the discussion is nonsense, unless
it just happens a _lot_ more in other parts of the world than it does here
in the southeast US.  If so, feel free to educate me."

I guess you are right - that is nonsense, I am guessing part of what I am
seeing is just skip off the lake with clear line-of-sight. Still
problematic, to me.

I have figured out that some people don't understand my dilemma partly
because they don't see what I hear here.

Here is a link to a screenshot.
Xastir RF-only @K3CR
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxDze9ZSkXzcbjZvVWFpc0RSMjA/view?usp=sharing>

If I understand it correctly, I shouldn't consider anything outside of my
ALOHA circle (yellow) as local, as far as transmitting goes. And around
here, I am likely to to want to cut that in half, because of the terrain.

The stations over in Canada, on the far shore of the great lakes, are
one-hit wonders.
I don't believe they are mis-behaving. And of course, they aren't the only
ones like that as seen in the screenshot.

Once in a while VA3AMP-1
<http://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FVA3AMP-1&timerange=3600&tail=3600> is heard
direct and transmitted on the first hop at N3SNN-1
<http://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FN3SNN-1&timerange=3600&tail=3600>, The second
hop brings it right into my back yard from several other high-profile
digis. N3Snn-1 hears plenty of packets from 200 miles away on a regular
basis, according to the aprs.fi graphs
<http://aprs.fi/info/graphs/a/N3SNN-1> (thanks, Hessu)!

I refuse to attempt to transmit anything to VA3AMP - sorry. So as far as
that singular packet goes, or even to that station, I am a receive-only
Igater.

And I think that may poke a hole in the "all RX-only IGates are always
evil" logic - all TX IGates are RX-only sometimes, from the perspective of
the intended recipient of a message.

.ja.