[aprssig] Polite to TX-igate weather warnings?

David Andrzejewski david at davidandrzejewski.com
Sun Mar 27 22:12:49 EDT 2016

I've been running a digipeater and TX igate using aprx.  I have been
playing with transmitting the objects produced by the AE5PL-WX server
(just CLESVR and CLETOR), for severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings
from my local NWS office.

My question is this: Is this a polite thing to do on RF?

On the one hand, I can see some value in it - mobile stations will be
alerted to weather warnings and fixed RF-only stations would be able to
see the polygons on the map.  The downside is that it looks like these
packets are pushed onto -IS every 5 minutes, so that means my igate
could theoretically end up transmitting a lot of packets on a busy
weather night, since the CLE office is responsible for 30 counties.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

73,

- Dave/KD8TWG

--