[aprssig] IGate Registering for ANSRVR (Messaging failures)

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Fri Jul 15 18:05:50 EDT 2016

> On Jul 15, 2016, at 3:20 PM, Boyd Prestwood K5YKG via aprssig <aprssig at tapr.org> wrote:
>
> I remember the "original" gateway stations were recommended to gate packets from HF-to-VHF (300bps-to-1200bps)... 1-way only.  The rational being traffic coming from a 300-bps channel would fit into a 1200-bps channel without any problem but going the other way, VHF-to-HF (1200bps-to-300bps) would quickly saturate the HF channel.  I-Gates came along with the inclusion of the Internet. Maybe that's where some of the "confusion" started?

No, there was no confusion, I coined the term IGate specifically to differentiate from HF/VHF Gates, which used the alias GATE. From the start it was strongly discouraged to IGate to HF, and other than a few config errors I don't think anyone ever made a serious attempt. The HF channel was simply too thin a resource to handle it.

And in point of fact most of the VHF to HF gateways were two-way, but you needed to use a special path to make the cross. So for example, if you were a WIDE away from a gateway, you could set your path to WIDE,GATE,GATE,WIDE to make it out of all the GATES. Traffic was low enough that we did do some messaging like this, but of course the HF channel was too choked to tolerate more than the occasional test of this type. If you left your path like this you heard about it!

Steve K4HG