[aprssig] SATgates ? (again)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jan 26 10:44:16 EST 2016

Yep, that’s a problem.   So I guess we are going to need a special SATgate
code.

No matter how we do it, it will need a list of satellite calls that gets
updated when new satellies are launched.

That’s all I am after is a dedicated black-box code that acts as these
special satgtes.

The main objective is the numerous other countries which do not have an
existing SATgate but do have a dedicated AMSAT/ARISS station for ISS
communications.  These operators are not necessarily packet or APRS or
internet savvy, but are dedicated to keeping their tracking stations on
ISS.  We want to be able to send them this SATgate code, they just hook up
to a TNC and radio or soundcard and turn it on.

This will probably be a SATgate in the one major city in the country and we
don’t want it to create a blackhole for the few other Satllite oeprators
there.

Im not asking for all IGates to support this.  I only need one that is easy
to set up by non APRS folks.  Then it is the one we can write the system
and procedures around.  And get a working global APRS satellite network
that wors consistently everywhere.

Bob, WB4APR