[aprssig] SATgates ? (again)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jan 24 16:09:17 EST 2016

>... What you're describing is trying to use the APRS-IS as a local RF
analysis tool.

No, I'm trying to make the APRS satellites work as a useful constellation
and to have their integration into the APRS-IS work in a consistent manner
all over the world.

> ...if you're trying to use the APRS constellation for something actually
useful
> and not just the novelty of bouncing a packet off a satellite,
> you would much prefer getting i-gated in simplex range
> so you don't need to rely on maybe getting through a satellite.

I want the satellite constellation to work consistently for everyone no
matter wherer they are and by consistancy, I mean if their packet went via
satlelite then it should show on the satellite downlink page independent of
where it was transmitted..

> I'm not convinced I want to implement a satgate switch in APRX,
> and would reject any patches to do so.

I'm just trying to identify IGate code that has this SATgate mode so that
we can know what software to recommend for SATgate use.

> The only advantage seems to be the novelty of getting a packet
> with the satellite's call. If that's important to you, run your own
> RX ground station

Its not just the novelty, it is taking a top down system level look at the
APRS satelltie constelaltion and tweaking it so that it works consistently
to all users.

Bob, WB4APR