[aprssig] is there a complete APRS primer out there?

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 6 18:31:48 EST 2016

Andrew,
 Well, thats more like a buck three eighty five, but...

  I also needed some help back when I bought a used D700 and found that most sites made a lot of assumptions about prior knowledge.

 As commonly happens in such cases, I eventually wrote what I has been looking for after time on the net, playing with the radio and reading the mail here.  It is focused on the D700/D7, but I took pains to make it readable for the beginner and as general as I was able. Much of what you mention is more advanced that my Beginner Guide.  I never set up a TNC or Digi, so I have nothing in there about that.

I've received a half dozen or so positive comments about it over the years and some suggestions, as well as one fella who put an older version of it on the very same Yahoo group where I hav it.  Strange fella who blew up at me when I told him I already had it there and suggested he just put a link to the most recent version on my site. It is also scattered about randomly by others.

While Comcast has dropped web hosting so I can't point you to an on-line copy [other than the WayBack Machine and the Yahoo APRS Group], I attach a pdf of it to you direct @ hotmail.  Look it over and if you want to use it as a basis for your document just let me know and I will send the source Word.doc.

P.S.  Unfortunately APRS is not a modern Plug-n-Play system.  While Bob and others did a wonderful job making it useful, it does take a significant amount of education to get things right, but if you can answer your user's questions that is good.

I have an ASUS cloud site for my tablet and should move it up there with my book....

--
 Regards, Steve Noskowicz, K9DCI
 Science & Technical Advisor