[aprssig] is there a complete APRS primer out there?

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 6 15:20:29 EST 2016

Gee, I just found that book in my home library, and it's already the second edition (Stan Horzepa WA1LOU, "APRS: Moving Hams on Radio and the Internet", copyright 2004). Flipping through it, it seems to still be somewhat relevant in the pure theory, but too wordy for the newbie in a hurry (sorry, Stan), and the restructuring changes of the APRS network need to be accounted for (stop using WIDE and RELAY, etc., etc.), along with other dated stuff (ex.: the author of UIView is no longer doing support because he's a SK).

I was thinking more along the lines of a document of "How to Set Up your APRS Station" that starts with asking what kind of station you are creating (tracker, fixed home end-user station, cellphone, digipeater, etc.), and then walks you down a flowchart of what to do in each case (with appropriate caveats like "don't establish a digipeater in a valley because of too many hidden transmitters").

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO