[aprssig] aprx won't digi from TNC2 interface?

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Tue Aug 23 02:03:10 EDT 2016

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

>> That said, there's enough data to build ax.25 packets. The relevant
>> low-level functions are present in the code. If you're comfortable
>> hacking C, you can easily add that functionality yourself.
>
> At this point I plan to punt aprx and write a perl script with
> ham::aprs::fap which has a function that converts tnc2 to kiss (assuming
> CPAN gets along with the beaglebone black), but if it's easy for you to
> generate a diff I can apply it and see how it goes.

I don't think the TNC2 format has all the bits needed to generate the same
KISS frame back (no RR bits). You might also get some surprises with
non-ascii characters, ümlauts, incoming multiline packets which could have
something that resembles a TNC2 header on the second line of line, etc. If
the new packet is not quite exactly the same, the 30-second duplicate
detection window checking on digipeaters might not work.

How about just using a KISS receiver instead, they're so much nicer in
many respects, even for RX igate use? Can't say that they would be
expensive any more.

   - Hessu