[aprssig] aprx won't digi from TNC2 interface?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 10:33:14 EDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 1:03 AM, Heikki Hannikainen <hessu at hes.iki.fi>
wrote:

> I don't think the TNC2 format has all the bits needed to generate the same
> KISS frame back (no RR bits).

Please tell me we haven't screwed up _again_ by shoving even more layer 7
data into AX.25 layer 2?

All I see is http://www.aprs.org/aprs12/RR-bits.txt and I _beg_ all
software authors to reject this and any other suggestions that corrupt the
APRS network by trying to force APRS layer 4-7 data into layer 2.

How about just using a KISS receiver instead,

Because the source layer 2 is not AX.25.  I am not digipeating generic APRS
traffic, I'm gatwaying some specific tracking data that is in APRS-IS /
TNC2 format onto an AX.25 APRS network.  There are no RR bits or any non- 7
bit ASCII  bytes to worry about in the source data stream.

I can build trackers smaller, cheaper, faster, and generally better than
ham gear using COTS ISM radios. Since I have APRS ground station components
(xastir, D7, D700, etc) and because it is human readable with a simple
terminal emulator, I chose APRS-IS/TNC2 for the over-the-air protocol.
This data is ingested perfectly by xastir.

My current project is to further integrate ham APRS into the network,
repeating onto AX.25 to include mobile/portable APRS stations.  I chose
aprx because I'm trying to use as much APRS standard gear as possible and
because it fits my hardware (small linux SBC, e.g. beaglebone black or pi).

-Jason
kg4wsv