[aprssig] Kenwood D700 Internal TNC Amazingly Mediocre!

spam8mybrain spam8mybrain at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 23:23:20 EDT 2016

I'm going to have to go along with Steve on this one. I've driven around with my Kenwood D710 and heard plenty of packets that couldn't be decoded by the Kenwood (alas, didn't have a laptop to run a software modem to compare). Also, someone I know who runs a digipeater/I-gate has compared using a TinyTrak 4 versus a SignaLink with AGWPE, and the software combo had a much higher decode ratio than the hardware TNC (and not all the missed packets sounded audibly distorted, although many did).
Software TNCs just seem to be more effective at decoding lower-quality signals. Now, how many of those lower-quality signals could be fixed is another question; how many of those people just didn't know how to set up their stations (or don't care) versus stations with bad signal paths or hidden transmitter collisions, who knows.
But the poor quality signals are there. Are we going to be elitist and only accept those matching a particular ideal, or follow the Internet philosophy of "be conservative in what you generate, be liberal in what you accept"?
Andrew, KA2DDO