[aprssig] Kenwood D700 Internal TNC Amazingly Mediocre!

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Aug 7 01:56:17 EDT 2016

On 8/7/2016 12:45 AM, Bill Vodall via aprssig wrote:
>> There was no digi involved in my test.   I had the FT-1500/TT3 ammo-can
>> tracker, equipped with a Diamond 770 no-ground-plane half-wave whip, located
>>

>> The discovery of how much poorer the D700's internal TNC was than the
>> Soundmodem soft TNC was purely by accident.
>
> We you using the FT-1500/TT3 with speaker/mic twisted audio and not
> flat discriminator audio?
>
> The Kenwoods are flat discriminator audio.

NO!   The FT-1500 was being used exclusively on transmit -- it has a 6-pin
mini-DIN port providing more-or-less flat transmit audio.

Since the TT3 is a transmit-only device, the RX audio is irrelevant.   The
mini-DIN dataport provides an actual 0/5 VDC COR/busy indicator that is far
more positive than the audio detect scheme normally used on a TT3.