[aprssig] APRS Message Callsign SPEC- Ambiguity

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 18:46:32 EDT 2016

To quote the APRS-IS login format rules http://aprs-is.net/Connecting.aspx :
"RF and APRS-IS clients may convert lower or mixed case callsigns and SSIDs
to upper case."

While not directly relevant, I think is the most clear description of APRS
station naming requirements and thus the one likely used most often by
developers (Thanks Pete!). I've never made a distinction between APRS-IS
login names and station addressee names, so I'm willing to make the leap of
applying the same limitations to message "addressees", bulletin "bulletin
IDs", and announcement "announcement identifiers".

I know that MANY pieces of software take this liberty and sanitize these
nine character strings to all upper case, not only in station callsigns but
also message addressees (which I hope is what you're talking about here),
so I think trying to go back and make them case-sensitive at this point is
pretty prohibitive, and of little value.

I think it's unfortunate that you didn't use strcasecmp() on this one
device, but I'm voting against trying to make a change to the APRS spec to
make addressees case sensitive.

--
Kenneth Finnegan, W6KWF
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/