[aprssig] Before You Install Windows 10 (Or even if you don't want to) Read This

pfbram at comcast.net pfbram at comcast.net
Fri Sep 18 13:17:36 EDT 2015

With APRS, I like both -- one rig installed as a base for APRS-IS usage, and a portable RF-only one (TH-D72, etc).

I've hesitated with Wine in general because some Windows API calls might violate various Linux security, hardware or other principles, but I see there are ways to somewhat containerize things. And faking com ports can get messy (bad enough that the D710 doesn't have USB), along with the registry, device drivers and so on. Whereas setting up YAAC under Linux for the TH-D72 was pretty routine.

Re: Win 10 one last time, I don't think they've left enough room for the individual power-user. The hobbyist-tinkerer lacks the resources of a large organization, IT department and local deployment servers. So it sounds like automatic rolling updates, and the ongoing risk of breakage/deprecation, is the imposed risk. Having to reply on third-party tools to "fight" OS defaults/behavior isn't desirable long-term.

Good to hear about another APRSISCE in the works!

73, KD0KZE / Paul