[aprssig] water level gauge for APRS

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 5 08:53:22 EDT 2015

Notice that the water thing worked out sort of close to 2 mmHg per water-inch depth...
--
Regards, Steve Noskowicz
Science & Technical Advisor

 FWIW.
 Some  idea fodder   in addition to
 the other things mentined,:

 A lot depends on just how much level change you
 consider to be a "flood".

 Floats are pretty simple.  Every auto gas tank
 has (had) one inside, I think.

  A sealed pipe is used in homes to eliminate
 the hydrolic hammering.  These need periodic flushing
 because gasses disolve in the water and the level goes up
 with the constant pressure against the decreasing amount of
 gas. When they fill, no more bumper.
  If the
 'flood gage' is usually empty, then no problem...

 I don't know if this gives
 anyone ideas, but...

 friend has a very clever commercial fuel tank guage in his
 boat.  I had the web page for it, but not now...
 A tube in the tank goes to the bottom, but is
 open on the bottom.
 A hand pump pumps air
 into the tube.
 An analog, barometer-style
 mechanical pressure guage (just like on a BP cuff) on the
 pump shows the pressure at the pump and, therefore,  top of
 the tube.
 When the tube bubbles out the
 bottom, the pressure stops building and you read the
 depth.  The guage is calibrated for the liquid.  I did the
 calculations for water and compared my results with the
 pressure guage on my sphygmomanometer (BP cuff)
 Pretty slick.
 Paper
 describing in more detail
   http://hemingways.org/Yandina/Temp/fuelgauge.pdf

 Commercial:
 http://levelcom.net/

 I found my calculations, but
 no indication of the specific company...
 The
 conversion:
 mm Hg
     Inch Hg                      mmH2O
                   Inches H20
 1.868320156    0.073555912
 25.39999984    1.0

 played with this measurement as well as a U-Tube
 Manometer....  The slanted version can give much more low
 pressure variation for an ultrasonic sensor.

 U-Tube manometer
 calculations:
   http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/u-tube-manometer-d_611.html

 Be careful with the Engineering
 Toolbox.  I found a few places where it is a little sloppy
 in its stuff..
 These don't have the
 disolved gas problem.

 There
 is a USGS guage station at the inlet of Wonder Lake that
 measures water height, rain and other things.  I have no
 idea how it works.  Next time I see the guy servicing it,
 I'll ask more.
   http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?05548105

 --
 Regards, Steve Noskowicz
 Science & Technical Advisor
 http://www.challengerillinois.org/

  make a
 flood gage, it would seem that a simply pressure
  sensor like we use for atomosphere for balloon
 payloads
  would work.

  Just put it inside a pipe with a cap on the
 top and
  open on the bottom.  Then the
 pressure will vary with the
  height of the
 water.  Connect this to the analog input of
  an APRS tracker and you have a flood gage.
 Calibate it
  with some testing and
 done...

  ANyone done