[aprssig] water level gauge for APRS

Bob Burns W9BU w9bu_lists at rlburns.net
Fri Oct 9 22:02:15 EDT 2015

Hydrostatic level sensors are fairly common in the industrial controls market. They consist of a single-ended pressure sensor that is suspended in a fluid. As the fluid level increases above the sensor, the pressure increases. A 4-20mA or 0-10VDC signal coming from the sensor can then be calibrated in feet or meters of level above the sensor.


I’ve used the following Endress+Hauser sensor to measure water level in a condenser water sump in a chilled water plant:




I forget what the price was—probably between $1,000 and $5,000. It might be outside your price range, but the concept of using pressure to measure level is sound.




From: aprssig [mailto:aprssig-bounces at tapr.org] On Behalf Of Robert Bruninga via aprssig
Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2015 10:03 PM
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List <aprssig at tapr.org>
Subject: [aprssig] water level gauge for APRS


TO make a flood gage, it would seem that a simply pressure sensor like we use for atomosphere for balloon payloads would work.

Just put it inside a pipe with a cap on the top and open on the bottom.  Then the pressure will vary with the height of the water.  Connect this to the analog input of an APRS tracker and you have a flood gage.  Calibate it with some testing and done...

ANyone done this?


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig_lists.tapr.org/attachments/20151009/53563f4d/attachment.html>

More information about the aprssig mailing list