[aprssig] water level gauge for APRS

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 5 08:47:35 EDT 2015

COOL!   A little good research goes a LONG way...  I did wonder how the flow volume was obtained, but no more.

Thanks, Rick.
--
Regards, Steve Noskowicz
Science & Technical Advisor

 Subject: Re: [aprssig] water level gauge for APRS
 To: aprssig at tapr.org
 Date: Monday, October 5, 2015, 6:46 AM

 On 10/4/2015 11:18 PM,
 Steve Noskowicz via aprssig wrote:

 > I don't know if this gives anyone
 ideas, but...

 friend has a very clever commercial fuel tank guage in his
 boat.  I had the web page for it, but not now...
 > A tube in the tank goes to the bottom, but
 is open on the bottom.
 > A hand pump
 pumps air into the tube.
 > An analog,
 barometer-style mechanical pressure guage (just like on a BP
 cuff) on the pump shows the pressure at the pump and,
 therefore,  top of the tube.
 > When the
 tube bubbles out the bottom, the pressure stops building and
 you read the depth.  The guage is calibrated for the
 liquid.  I did the calculations for water and compared my
 results with the pressure guage on my sphygmomanometer (BP
 cuff)
 > Pretty slick.
 > Paper describing in more detail
 >    http://hemingways.org/Yandina/Temp/fuelgauge.pdf