[aprssig] Drones and Camera, etc

kliegle at myfairpoint.net kliegle at myfairpoint.net
Mon Nov 30 18:25:21 EST 2015

Game cameras are relatively cheap now days, just about all have IR
sensors and IR flashes for night pictures or video. Only limitation is
battery consumption. Either get one that has an external power
connection, or hack the battery contacts and solder leads for a wall
wart or a hell cell battery. Hide the works well and you can catch
video or pictures of the perp(s).

If you want APRS notification, an HT with a 'real' on/off switch left
on and a spring loaded slide switch with a minor modification. Slide
switch to the spring loaded position and drill a tiny hole through it
to hold a pin (think a grenade pin). I used .050" aviation safety wire
for its stiffness and slide ability in the hard plastic of the switch.
6lb fishing line is tied to the pin and other end of line is attached
to anything that may get moved.

I used the above to alert me as to when the crack addicts were breaking
into my camper. I used a discrete freq with PL encoding, and left a
radio at home with PL decode on. When I heard the packets breaking the
squelch at the higher than normal rate (BEACON EVERY 15) then it was
time to investigate.

As for drones, I fly fixed wing motor gliders with GoPro or a GoPro
knock off from MCM Electronics. Video down links are handy, but a
complete ground station has to be set up for every flight. Mine is 910
Mhz video downlink, RC link is 2.4 Ghz.

The multi rotor copters are great for remaining on station or going to
a known point in space and staying there. Obviously weight becomes an
issue when loaded down with batteries, cameras, RF TXR's, etc.

Cameras such as 'board cameras' (circuit board and a lense) can be had
for small money and numerous resolution choices from EBay stores
located in China. These make for a light weight, gimbled video setup.

In the RC world, they call this FPV (First Person View) flying. The web
is full of videos posted online of folks flying around as if they were
onboard.

73 Kris's KA1GJU