[aprssig] FW: Possibility to add-on Server to APRS-IS Tier-2 Pool

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 11:39:57 EST 2015

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Nagi Punyamurthula via aprssig <
aprssig at tapr.org> wrote:

> I wanted to surface this request again and see if anyone had any
> recommendations or what the request process is to add a server node to the
> APRS-IS server network

I have no opinion on adding your server to the T2 servers, but I'd like to
point out a couple of general things:

proximity in network topology terms does not necessarily relate to
geographic proximity.  if link speeds and bandwidths are considered in
addition to hop count, latency, etc, in can differ even more.

Depending on the number of servers and number of clients, adding an APRS-IS
server can result in a net _increase_ in traffic on the servers you are
attempting to "relieve".  For example, if you set up a server you'll
probably peer with at least 2 or 3 other servers, and that's a full feed to
each.  If the clients that connect to your server only amount to a few
filtered feeds, you've created a significant increase in bandwidth on your
peer servers in exchange for reducing their load by a few filtered feeds.

"More servers" does not automatically mean "better".

-Jason
kg4wsv