[aprssig] FW: Possibility to add-on Server to APRS-IS Tier-2 Pool

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 12:53:53 EST 2015

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 7:18 AM, Nagi Punyamurthula via aprssig
<aprssig at tapr.org> wrote:

> Hello all
>
> Please see below, I had followed up w/ Phil several times since, but, to no avail.  Is he’s still a Tier-2 Network contact and/or if I might be knocking at the wrong door.  I wanted to surface this request again and see if anyone had any recommendations or what the request process is to add a server node to the APRS-IS server network

Nagi,

If the forwarded mail is your full correspondence with Phil, you
really didn't sell your resources very well. He asked specifically for
tier 2-4 data centers (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_center#Data_center_tiers ), but you
replied with no details about your home data center. Some details he
might be interested in:

- multi-homed power
- multi-homed Internet
- backup power
- low latency routing (near an internet exchange, good peering)
- redundant network hardware
- redundant server hardware (dual power supplies, etc.)
- DR plan
- deployment automation
- uptime stats from a third party
- previous experience with APRS server software

Please understand there is no urgency to add new servers to the
system. Tier 2 currently has far more capacity than required, so
adding new servers is a very low priority. You can see from
http://status.aprs2.net/ that most servers are not included in the
primary or regional rotate DNS at any given time. Servers are scored
every few minutes and only the top 10 from each group are included in
their associated rotate. This means there are already plenty of spare
servers standing by. If Phil is slow to respond, it is probably due to
the non-urgent nature of your offer.

Lastly, I suspect most of the subscribers here don't care about your
personal interest in running an APRS server, so I suggest you take
this conversation off list.

Tom KD7LXL