[aprssig] Baofeng dual band with DTMF memories?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Nov 2 17:46:59 EST 2015

On 11/2/2015 12:52 PM, Robert Bruninga via aprssig wrote:
> Rumor has it that the Baofeng Dual Band radio NSTIG-8R has DTMF memories.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/NSTIG-8R-Amateur-Commercial-Portable-Two-Way/dp/B00QMOE5UE
>
> Can anyone confirm the length of the memory?
>
> And how one enters the “ABCD” DTMF keys?

Note the link at the bottom of the Amazon page:

"Find Helpful AnyTone Guides at AnyToneTech.com"

Visiting the mfr website linked above, I was able to download both the owner's
manual in .PDF format, and a programming utility for configuring the device
from a PC.

Considering that it's basically sheer masochism to program these units from
their too-small display and too-small keyboard, I consider the configuration
utilities absolutely essential.

I downloaded, installed and opened the configuration software for this radio.
The memory configuration spreadsheet does indeed have slots for 16 DTMF
strings.  I was able to enter up to 24 digits (including A,B,C and D) into each
memory slot.

One warning however:  The programming cable connects into the two-pin
Kenwood-style mic jack.  Connecting the cable to a PC USB port "automagically"
transforms the TX audio/RX audio/PTT functions of the jack normallly used for a
speaker/mic to a TXD/RXD serial port. In turn, the cable has a serial<-->USB
converter chip in it, similar to the ubiquitous  USB<-->DB9-serial  dongles.

The bad news. The cable is based on the inexerable Prolific PL-2303 USB-RS232
chip that is plagued with absolutely endless issues of drivers refusing to
install if the installer thinks the Prolific chip in the device is
"counterfeit".

[The global electronic supply chain has been infiltrated with hundreds of fake
Prolific chips made in China. These fake chips are turning up in all kinds of
legitimate products including GPS pucks and programming cables.  In turn the
Taiwanese mfr responded with a kind of DRM in the driver installer that refuses
to install if it detects, or thinks it detects, fake Prolific chips.]

See the whole sorry story here on my website:

<http://WA8LMF.net/ham/USB-Serial-Dongles.htm>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  _______ Windows 10 Outrages! _______
    <http://WA8LMF.net/Windows10_Info>

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps