[aprssig] POCSAG Paging on APRS (new subject)

Nagi Punyamurthula n0agi at n0agi.com
Fri Jul 24 12:05:31 EDT 2015

I agree - PAGERS rock and are probably the simplest purpose built devices.

If I may propose (please share your ideas, all); I build a working POC using the gear I already have and a supporting documentation I will generate coming out of the POC for a combined review in this forum.

The object of POC:
1.	Show a working example where an APRS station "From A" would send a formatted APRS message of type "POCSAG" to another APRS station "To B" using the APRS message transportation network as the backbone infrastructure.

2.	Along the way, a POCSAG capable station, "Station P"; i.e., a station that is equipped w/ a POCSAG encoder/transmitter rig, would receive the POCSAG typed APRS packet over RF, parse out the "To" station's callsign, identify it's PAGER-ID, and thereafter, encode and transmit over RF the message to the "To B" station's pager.  The PAGER-ID value is a unique 1-1 combination for a callsign and his/her pager.  This will be stored in a central database pool, such as an APRS-IS infrastructure table.  In the POC, we will use a locally stored table for demonstration purposes.

3.	Along the way, if a non-POCSAG capable station, intercepts the POCSAG APRS packet, it would follow the normal digipeating logistics if it is a digipeater.

4.	In Step 2, when a POCSAG message has been encoded/transmitted, the station, "Station P" would iGate the packet for closing the loop purposes.

5.	The POC will use an ALTNET to minimize the impact to live APRS traffic (hopefully)

When completed, would be great to show this working example to this forum and discuss forming a small working group of POCSAG/APRS enthusiasts and broaden the scope.

Does this proposed path sounds acceptable.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc., kindly share.

Thanks

N0AGI