[aprssig] New Year! Clean up the APRS garbage...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 7 12:02:44 EST 2015

The large majority of APRS signals on the air are bad and seriouisly impact
APRS reliability.

Just listen to them!

Newyear's resolution.  LETS FIX THEM!

Most of them require full scale signals to decode.  This is absurd.  I can
get solid decodes on signals of only 3 bars on my kenwood, but ONLY if the
signal was of good quality (most aren’t).

And the WORST problem is that 99% of every packet we hear is from the DIGI
transmitter!!!  So if we just fix the digi’s then we instantly improve the
network 99%.

IW2EJH pointed out an excellent web page that shows how BAD a packet signal
can become when the TX level is set too high (MOST ARE!!!).

“Overdriving the Transmitter has been the major of the causes.  Have a look
at the details in this doc:
http://www.febo.com/packet/layer-one/transmit.html  really well explained.
73 iw2ejh “

Bob, WB4aPR