[aprssig] New Year! Clean up the APRS garbage...

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 15:03:27 EST 2015

> The large majority of APRS signals on the air are bad and seriouisly impact
> APRS reliability.
>
> Newyear's resolution.  LETS FIX THEM!

Fortunately our technology has evolved and we can work on these issues
unlike ever before.

Today it's trivial to record ALL the audio on a channel like 144.39.
Those recordings would be small and easy to handle by current
standards.  So with the various software packet programs (like UZ7NO,
DireWolf, AGWPE) and other software tools like oscilloscopes we can
post process the output of a channel.  Given that it should be
possible to obtain a detailed analyse of which stations are propperly
adjusted and who needs to be fixed.

WA8LMF and the DireWolf docs describe doing this with a standard test
CD.    http://wa8lmf.net/TNCtest/  Today we don't have to be
restricted to one CD - we can do it all.

It should even be possible to decode the audio samples at faster (2x,
4x?) than live rates.

Still vexing us is the Kenwood decision to go non-standard, even if
better, with flat audio for 1200 baud packet where most other stations
were using pre-emphasized audio.

73,
Bill - WA7NWP