[aprssig] APRS messaging issues

Kurt Keilhofer hardlyevr at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 6 14:55:01 EST 2015

> Bob, I don't disagree with your suggestions for making effective use of APRS messaging, but let's get the facts straight. Why do you claim ACKs are less reliable than messages?
>
> Jason
> kg4wsv

One of the peculiarities of the D700 and D7 that I have noticed, when sending a message, if it is not rec'd and ACK'd on the first attempt, the 2nd thru 5th attempts take place immediately preceding the sending of the unit's position beacon. So the beacon is being transmitted at the same time an ACK may be on its way back, and thus un-hearable by the message transmitting station (and additionally making it less likely that the position beacon might not make it to a digi), possibly causing the message to be repeatedly sent more times after it might have actually been rec'd. I have no idea if this is the case on other radios or systems.
Kurt, KC8RWD(-14)