[aprssig] Radio Shack demise - 11 meter data channel

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Feb 13 16:47:03 EST 2015

I changed the subject to a data channel, not the entire band...

Op 13-02-15 om 20:42 schreef Robert Bruninga:
>> I don't mind dedicating a $5 CB  radio to a 24/7/365 peer-to-peer data
>> network for backup emergency communications, and as many as I can
>> find, compared to a very expensice ham SSB tansceeiver that I would
>> not want to leave connected to an antenna all the time due to
>> lightening risk and want to use for other things.

> would it not be simpler then to change the reference occilator
>  and retune the filters to put that $5 cb in the 10 meter band
> then to try changing the regulations?
>  it has been done thousends of times before.

Back in the day of descrete components, yes, but not today when everything
is mask programmed and fully chip integrated.  Such things are impssible
to hack in the field and since there are maybe 200 different radio brands,
such as approach is a non-stareter with resepect to trying to make sure
there is one in every shack for compatibility.

Bob