[aprssig] $60 WinBook TW700 Tablet -- Webpage With More Info Up

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Feb 8 21:41:29 EST 2015

On 2/8/2015 7:59 PM, qrv at kd4e.com wrote:
> Is there anything about the changes in the TW800 that would make
> it less suitable for Ham apps?

     NO As far as I can see, it's virtually identical except for the larger
screen.  The port complement (which sets these Microcenter tablets apart from
all other small cheap Windows tablets - especially the FULL SIZE USB port) on
the two is identical.

The only differences I can see is that the 8" unit has a USB 3.0 port instead
of USB 2.0, and weighs one ounce more.

> 8" would seem better for aging eyes - unless the touch screen/
> video driver is incompatible.

In my experience so far the touchscreen is virtually useless for conventional
Windows programs since the standard Windows GUI widgets (icons, scroll bars,
resizing handles in the corners of windows, items in menu lists, radio buttons,
etc) are just too small for the average un-mutated human finger to reliably hit
on screens this small. Not to mention the problem of how do you do mouse
right-clicks.

Assume that you WILL ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY get a Bluetooth mouse to go with
either of these devices.  And a 32 or 64GB micro-SD card for more storage.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF