[aprssig] Electric Field Sensor (XMAS lights)?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Dec 5 20:19:29 EST 2015

Sorry for the off topic.

Will one of these cigar sized (yellow) electric field sensors be any use
in  finding the bad bulb in a series XMAS light string?

It beeps in the presence of an electric field and detects AC about 6 inches
away.th this?

I can find no difference all along the string.  But then this is a 3 wire
string with a receptacle on the end so there is AC end to end, even though
there is a series bulb out.

Maybe this technique will work on a 2 wire loop string and not a 3 wire?

I'm happy to cut off the end plug and pull out the 3rd wire if someone
claims it will work on a 2 wire string.

Sorry for the off topic post, but I'm probably not the first one with this
dumb question at this time of year.

Bob