[aprssig] ANSRVR

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sat Dec 5 14:21:39 EST 2015

Wait, are you now saying that the FT2D received the ANSRVR answer but
the D7 did not?  That's the opposite of what you originally reported.

You can always use aprs.fi to see what's going on with ANSRVR messaging.

http://aprs.fi/?c=message&call=ANSRVR

shows that a ? was received from N0KQX-2 and a burst of answers was sent
in reply.  Likely more than you'd really like to receive via RF.   A
second ? was received 1 minute and 4 seconds later from the same station.

One minute after that, a ? was received from N0KQX-7.  1 minute 4
seconds later, another ? was received from N0KQX-2 followed by yet
another 1 minute 3 seconds later.  Yet a fifth ? was received 1 minute 7
seconds after that from -2.

The messages view makes it appear that only the first ? was answered,
but if you look at the raw packets:

http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=ANSRVR&limit=500&view=normal

You'll see that the same burst of 21 messages was sent for each
received.  aprs.fi suppresses them as "Duplicate message content".

What I suspect is happening is that the local IGate is suppressing
subsequent bursts of answers in order to keep the RF channel from being
(over-)saturated.

Try a different query to ANSRVR that gets a shorter answer and it might
work better.  Sending an "L" for instance will return only the groups
that you are a member of, usually a much shorter answer.

PS.  And yes, I need to go clean up a bunch of obsolete ANSRVR groups
also...