[aprssig] APRN (Automatic Picture Relay Network) revival?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Aug 9 18:43:00 EDT 2015

On 8/9/2015 12:07 PM, Eric Grumling via aprssig wrote:
> *http://www.agri-vision.nl/CMS/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54 is
> a Raspberry Pi based SSTV capture and transmission device. With the FM
> transmitter software developed by Oliver Mattos and Oskar Weigl (and
> filtering and likely a bandpass filter it could be a stand-alone transmitter.*
> *
> *
> *73*
> *K0JEG*
> *

Hopelessly underpowered for the intended application.  SSTV is a strong-signal
mode that needs "full-smash" hard-quieted signals to work decently.  I.e.
somewhat similar to signal requirements for normal 1200 or 9600 baud packet.
With the milli-watts range power output of this device, the range will be
something like Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.  One needs output power on the order of
watts or 10's of watts to be practical.

Further, the article doesn't indicate what mode(s) this thing transmits.  If
the intent is to have a large number of igate-like receive installations, they
will need to run standard modes that can be received by off-the-shelf SSTV apps
like mmSSTV or HRD DM-780.

I still thing N1VG's SSTV cam board mated to one of his 5-watt FM telemetry
transmitter modules is the way to go, and far less susceptible to buggy
software and computer hiccups. One can "hardware" one of several standard SSTV
formats with DIP switches.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF