[aprssig] Does the text "EMERGENCY" mean the real thing?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 14:20:53 EDT 2014

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014, Ronny Bolsega wrote:

> Hi Curt,  I?m glad you mentioned the info on the beacon msg with the word Emergency!  I recently purchased a Yaesu VX-8GR with the beacon.  I?m using the smart beacon but my text says my call KG7A and Test.  I?m still kind of new to APRS and wish there was a tutorial for this subject on the HT and Mobile radios with APRS.  You mentioned the Mic-E which I remember hearing it but never really learned it.  I?m still willing to read on with TAPR APRS on this subject.  So if you have any input on a group or tutorial on this, I would really appreciate this with all respect.  Thanks for you info Kurt and please advise?

If you're new to APRS, check out:

     http://aprs.org
-and-
     http://info.aprs.net

Plus monitor this list, ask questions, and do Google searches for things of interest that you want to learn about.  There are some VERY knowledgeable people that monitor this list, including most of the APRS program developers.

FYI:  The term Mic-E can refer to three things:

* The TAPR MIC-E hardware device (no longer manufactured).
* The MIC-E protocol.
* A method of keeping the transmitter keyed and inserting an APRS packet at the end of a transmission.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/aprs_capabilities.html