[aprssig] Igate traffic flow query

Nick G4IRX g4irx9 at nowindows.net
Thu May 29 06:28:54 EDT 2014

Thanks for this insight Chris.

On 29/05/2014 08:53, Chris Moulding wrote:
> Some months back I had some interesting discussions with Steve Morton
> G8SFR who checks APRS igate NOV (Notice of Variation) applications for
> the RSGB. I gave him an update on the latest APRS use and techniques
> and he gave me an update on the legal position for UK radio amateurs
> and APRS igates.

I read a post on this subject that you posted to the Raynet forum a few
months back quoting Steve G8SFR.

> In the Communications Act 2003 there is provision for the licensing of
> interconnections between communication providers i.e. cellular
> networks, PSTN, internet service providers etc. These providers pay a
> substantial licence fee to the UK government for the right to
> interconnect their services.
>
> When the Communications Act was made law amateur radio as a potential
> service or provider was forgotten and not included within the law. Now
> that UK amateurs can connect amateur radio traffic to the internet we
> come under the Act and strictly speaking the internet service provider
> should refuse permission to accept the amateur radio traffic if asked.

This something that I was unaware of. I was looking at this from the
point of relaying third-party traffic where something was gated to the
internet might re-appear on RF somewhere else hence trying to gain an
understanding of how APRS-IS gates traffic from/to RF.  Yes, ISPs could
refuse amateur radio traffic but then any traffic sent over the internet
can easily be encrypted at the tunnel endpoints, as any other VPN
traffic is.

> The NOV is a typical British fudge to give radio amateurs the "right"
> to send amateur radio traffic to the internet. Without this UK
> amateurs run the risk of prosecution under the Communications Act if
> they connect amateur radio traffic to the internet. I would recommend
> that all UK igate operators apply for a NOV even for receive only igates.

After reading your earlier post I submitted a NOV application. I have to
say that the process was fairly quick but the application seems to be a
one-size-fits-all form such as the requirement for closedown ops even if
you say you will only operate the station when in attendance.

> The definition of amateur radio traffic is interesting. As APRS
> contains amateur radio callsigns it can be readily identified as
> amateur radio traffic. The data from the WebSDR receivers I run
> doesn't contain callsigns so cannot be identified as amateur radio
> traffic.

73
Nick G4IRX.