[aprssig] Igate traffic flow query

Chris Moulding chrism at crosscountrywireless.net
Thu May 29 03:53:37 EDT 2014

Some months back I had some interesting discussions with Steve Morton
G8SFR who checks APRS igate NOV (Notice of Variation) applications for
the RSGB. I gave him an update on the latest APRS use and techniques and
he gave me an update on the legal position for UK radio amateurs and
APRS igates.

In the Communications Act 2003 there is provision for the licensing of
interconnections between communication providers i.e. cellular networks,
PSTN, internet service providers etc. These providers pay a substantial
licence fee to the UK government for the right to interconnect their
services.

When the Communications Act was made law amateur radio as a potential
service or provider was forgotten and not included within the law. Now
that UK amateurs can connect amateur radio traffic to the internet we
come under the Act and strictly speaking the internet service provider
should refuse permission to accept the amateur radio traffic if asked.

The NOV is a typical British fudge to give radio amateurs the "right" to
send amateur radio traffic to the internet. Without this UK amateurs run
the risk of prosecution under the Communications Act if they connect
amateur radio traffic to the internet. I would recommend that all UK
igate operators apply for a NOV even for receive only igates.

The definition of amateur radio traffic is interesting. As APRS contains
amateur radio callsigns it can be readily identified as amateur radio
traffic. The data from the WebSDR receivers I run doesn't contain
callsigns so cannot be identified as amateur radio traffic.

Regards,

Chris, G4HYG

--
Chris Moulding