[aprssig] Igate traffic flow query

Matti Aarnio oh2mqk at sral.fi
Thu May 29 04:11:47 EDT 2014

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 11:57:39PM +0100, Nick G4IRX wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it likely that traffic gated from RF to APRS-IS can be gated back
> out to RF at some point? I'm thinking particularly of messages.
>
> The reason that I ask is beacause in the UK we are prohibited from
> passing traffic via a public communications network unless we have a
> NOV (permit). I considered the case of gating from internet to RF
> which is clearly prohibited, but in the other direction is a bit of
> a grey area.

In Finland the rule is quite clear:  You can receive and relay anything
from Ham-RF to where-ever you wish.

Doing transmission by automatic systems (digi, Tx-Igate) one needs special
license here -- distinct callsign, some paperwork, yearly fee for the
call sign.

Our local equivalent of OfCOM is not interested in what Hams transmit
in Ham bands, but heavens forbid it we have spurious off band..

That is, for us it is a free for doing Rx-Igates, adding transmitter
needs a bit paperwork and fee money.

> 73
> Nick G4IRX

73 de Matti, OH2MQK