[aprssig] Igate traffic flow query

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed May 28 19:47:06 EDT 2014

This is something you need to discuss with someone familiar with UK radio law. In the US, amateur radio transmission are placed in the public domain, essentially allowing anyone to do anything with them, including sending them to an internet aggregator.

If the UK really regulates the receive side it must be with a law outside the amateur radio laws, because anyone with a scanner and a computer can IGate RF to INet. In the US, the FCC only regulates transmission on amateur frequencies, not reception. It seems like over-reaching to regulate reception that way, but I'm not familiar with your radio law and maybe it is completely in character.

If you really do have a law that makes you responsible for what happens to the data after you put it on the internet, then there is not going to be a safe way to put the data on internet. To IGate traffic other than your own callsign you must provide a validation number, and packets from a validation number can be transmitted on RF.

Steve K4HG