[aprssig] APRS-IS Passcode alternative: SSL + Certificates, with no data encryption

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sat Mar 29 12:19:19 EDT 2014

On Mar 29, 2014, at 12:03 PM, qrv at kd4e.com wrote:

> Did the rules change?

Automatic message forwarding systems became legal before I became a ham in 1990, perhaps someone who actually qualifies for QWCA can give a precise date. Somewhere in the early to mid 90s there was an issue where a commercial message was passed through the packet system. The FCC issued some NALs. The end result of a lot of grinding and gnashing of teeth was the rules were changed to place the onus on the first station to transmit a message in an automatic message forwarding system. That station must either verify the message originates from a ham or accept liability for the content of the message.

> Initiating a RF transmission on Ham bands has always required
> that the originator be a Ham licensed for that mode, band,
> power, etc.

Yes, and the control op of an automatic station must be ham.

> Where, precisely, do the law/regs allow for a non-Ham to
> cause ("ptt") an RF transmission on Ham spectrum?

Third party rules. "No station may transmit third party communications while being automatically controlled except a station transmitting a RTTY or data emission" So you can't have a dial in number for non-hams to talk on a repeater, but you can have an email address or web site that non-hams can use to send messages.

Steve K4HG