[aprssig] A new player

Aaron Wolfe aaron at aaronwolfe.com
Mon Mar 10 15:59:43 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Gregory A. Carter
<gcarter at openaprs.net> wrote:
> I would still maintain the APRS-IS servers should have automatic throttling.
> There is no reason for them to forward on any station that beacons over a
> reasonable threshold per minute. In this particular case the app probably
> doesn't have a sufficient user base to cause that many issues but in the
> future it is possible another app just might and I can't think of many
> reasons adding automatic throttling for such an event would be a bad thing.

I agree.  Designing a communication system that breaks whenever
individual stations don't follow the rules is great if you like to
have complaint threads every few weeks for the lifetime of the system,
but if you want something that actually works when it counts, you
simply have to make it robust enough to handle a few bad apples.  I've
spent time writing software (internet email systems) where intentional
attacks are occurring constantly at every point in the network. I
can't imagine what would happen to APRIS-IS if we had people
intentionally attacking the network instead of just buggy client
software and abusive individuals.