[aprssig] A new player

Gregory A. Carter gcarter at openaprs.net
Mon Mar 10 12:10:05 EDT 2014

I would still maintain the APRS-IS servers should have automatic
throttling. There is no reason for them to forward on any station that
beacons over a reasonable threshold per minute. In this particular case the
app probably doesn't have a sufficient user base to cause that many issues
but in the future it is possible another app just might and I can't think
of many reasons adding automatic throttling for such an event would be a
bad thing.

Greg

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Steve Dimse <steve at dimse.com> wrote:

> > This is unfortunately far easier to suggest than to implement in the
> > field. Matti has issued a fix a week ago in
> > http://repo.ham.fi/websvn/wsvn/aprx?rev=566 - now it is the time for the
> > users of the affected platform to get busy and update.
> >
> Yes, he put out an update, but five weeks after notification of the bug
> during which his program continued to QRM the APRS IS, though not as
> severely as has happened in the last 24 hours. Also, this release is rather
> ho-hum, just mentioning the time jump but not why that matters. This should
> be pushed to users as a critical bug fix. But as I said, in his email to me
> he did not feel this was a significant issue and the fault was with users
> putting his program on laptops where he did not feel it belonged, and with
> me for not filtering the data in my database. He did not feel this caused
> any problem with the APRS IS because it was robust enough to handle the
> load.
>
> Certainly getting users to upgrade is not always easy, but if it isn't
> made clear an upgrade is important it is less likely to be done.
>
> Personally I don't feel this is right now an issue that justifies blocking
> all aprx traffic, even if that capability existed. I do think everyone that
> is trying to shift the responsibility to the APRS IS is wrong. If you write
> a program you have a responsibility to assure the correct operation of that
> software. When notified of a bug that is causing problems to other users of
> a shared system like APRS-IS you need to jump on it, get the fix done
> quickly, and reach out to users to get them to update ASAP.
>
> Steve K4HG

NV6G
OpenAPRS.Net
OpenAPRS iPhone Edition
Find RC sites and weather in your area on iPhone/iPad with WhereBRC