[aprssig] A new player (APRS-IS is doing fine, no panic...)

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Mon Mar 10 11:46:29 EDT 2014

First, it seems to me that the APRS-IS is doing fine. The spikes are
currently only doubling the IS stream traffic, which is not a huge
increase:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37346897/aprsis-spikes.png

That's not an increase in traffic that would hurt the APRS-IS itself today
in any significant way. No need to panic, the IS appears to be OK.

Luckily, most of the packets in the flood are already getting suppressed
at the first aprsc server where that client is connected, it's dropping
some 50-200 duplicate packets per second (according to the normal
30-second duplicate filtering window):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37346897/aprsis-spikes-dupes.png

You can zoom in to these graphs yourself on some of the core servers for
example:

1) open up http://sixth.aprs.net:14501/
2) click "Unique packets seen" to plot that as a graph (or some other
table header which happens to show up in blue)
3) paint area with spikes on graph with the mouse
4) a "Zoom" button appears, click it

At least two of these problematic clients were connected to MYAPRS-1:
http://aprs.myaprs.my:14501/ - there you can see the dropped dupe spikes.

Some clients which read the full feed might get some additional load, for
sure. aprs.fi is not noticing it much, since its per-srccall rate limiter
kicks in - effectively that callsign is automatically blacklisted
temporarily for the duration of the flooding.

It might make sense to implement some sort of automatic per-callsign or
per-client rate limiter for igate connections in the APRS-IS servers (for
example, something like, no more than 50 packets/second per srccall), just
in case some client would accidentally flood the network with unique
packets at some point. That'd then protect the network automatically
against this sort of problems (as long as the srccall stays the same).
Wouldn't need manual intervention or system-wide configuration updates
when a new problematic client would jump in later.

The fixed version of aprx is already available, Matti fixed it in svn
revision 566 (4th of March). We'll just now have to kick the problematic
devices to get them upgraded. There seems to be some language barriers,
the two stations in question are in Malaysia, and the only reply I got so
far was very brief ("OH7LZB de YB6HJE 73" - on Facebook...). I'll continue
on that track.

Seems like the affected devices are mostly D-Link router/wifi-AP soapboxes
running OpenWRT.