[aprssig] A new player (APRS-IS is doing fine, no panic...)

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Mon Mar 10 12:13:26 EDT 2014

Unfortunately, APRS-IS is not an Internet-only network and this idea of "push out historical packets" adversely affects RF, too.  Anybody remember the recent posts regarding a digi dumping telemetry on RF causing the frequency to become unusable?  If you remember that APRS-IS interconnects amateur radio RF networks, then all discussions about "it isn't hurting APRS-IS" become mute because they are adversely affecting RF networks (yes, you -must- assume that any packets seen on APRS-IS are also being gated to RF somewhere in the world).

This is a software bug and a lack of understanding by the author regarding APRS-IS and the -fact- that any flood of packets to APRS-IS can also be flooding an RF channel somewhere.  Unfortunately, when the focus is on APRS-IS, that fact is often overlooked or ignored.  No, it is not the job of the APRS-IS servers which are owned by many people independently world-wide to filter packets from malevolent software.  In fact, because of this diversity of server sysops, it is impossible for servers to be that "police".

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net