[aprssig] Paths - Solution proposal

Richard Sharp, KQ4KX kq4kx at arrl.net
Sun Jul 13 16:25:16 EDT 2014

I too have to agree with Bob.  A properly educated user originating a packet should be able to control their packet dissemination.

It seems to me the real “problem” we are experiencing is either inconsiderate or uninformed users that are utilizing the APRS network with no regard for others.

Since the vast majority of these airborne ops are using the dumb tracker equipment perhaps there should be a prominent description in the manuals for these types of equipment provided by their manufacturer.  Particularly, what NOT to do if using them airborne.

Every year during the Sun-N-Fun fly-in I see countless airplanes on my local APRS map with the “default” land based paths.  Clearly, these ops are simply buying these trackers (possibly preconfigured) and using them.  Usually, when I see an airplane on my map just passing through the local network flooding is only for a short time.  But during the weeklong fly-in there are multiple planes up flying around the area beaconing.  Oh, and look up their callsign on QRZ.com and of course – NO email address listed.  Or, they’re using the plane’s tail number as a tactical callsign and may or may not have their actual callsign listed in the payload.

Richard