[aprssig] OpenTRAC vs. UIView I-gates

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Jan 29 12:59:10 EST 2014

Last time we had a discussion about OpenTRAC on 144.39, it turned into a
week-long blowup that had me and Bob posting about 50 times a day and a
bunch of subscribers bailed from the SIG - including Bob, for a bit.
Being self-employed now I have limited time to devote to flame wars, so
I'm just going to say for now that in my opinion a client should only
*originate* OpenTRAC packets by explicit user choice.  Network
infrastructure should probably by default pass all traffic unless
filtering is specifically requested by the operator.

IGate operators should always keep in mind that PASSALL should be off,
and if they don't have the option of using KISS or a similar protocol,
they need to make sure their TNC is set properly to only pass plain text
APRS packets.

Scott
N1VG