[aprssig] OpenTRAC vs. UIView I-gates

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 29 12:44:09 EST 2014

Greetings, all.

It looks like I may have stirred up a hornet's nest. My APRS client YAAC also supports the OpenTRAC protocol, but it seems like some APRS I-gates don't like receiving OpenTRAC packets. Specifically, I have noticed several UIView I-gates forwarding messages of the format

[ PID 77 ]

instead of ignoring the packets of the wrong protocol ID entirely. I have confirmed this with an I-gate near my home (and the YAAC development server within).

Is this going to be a problem? Do I need to fix YAAC to prevent sending both APRS and OpenTRAC out the same RF port?

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO