[aprssig] Announcing Events - Etiquette

Mike GM1WKR gm1wkr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 15:34:07 EST 2014

Hi Stephen, Andrew,

I'm not a programmer, I'm learning on the fly so forgive me if I use terms
incorrectly.

My Python app is modular (I have prototype NetSked and Meeting 'modules'
largely done as well as other things like repeater objects, Space weather,
UK Met Alert), each does its own thing and Yes, Paths are configurable (as
are timings) per module and per item.   Modules can be dropped in as needed
- all they do in fact is generate a JSON Object at the appropriate time
that gets sent to what I call the 'Aggregator' which deals with the
underlying APRS software.

I'm doing it this way as each task (module) may source data from different
sources (file, web, RSS, DB, hardware device etc) and need to do so at
different rates - I guess the Unix philosophy guided me in this.  It also
means that modules need not be on the same machine and can be coded in any
language that can spit out JSON.

Stephen, your idea sounds great (pre-generating Meetings) but I have taken
a different approach - file based on day of week (Mon, Teu,  2nd Thu).  You
add a line to the file and it gets sent on the next run.  This module (and
NetSked) starts 24 hours prior at a low rate increasing until start

The Aggregator will take an The JSON Object  from the various modules and
hand off to whatever you have on your system - again this is meant to be
modular.  At the moment the Aggregator can send to the AX.25 beacon
programme (I hope to bypass Beacon ... more learning first though) or make
a socket connection to javAPRSSrvr.  The idea is to have several handoff
options for the aggregator (like AGW).

I will put everything up on GitHub soon but it is very much an amateur
attempt.  I'm calling it ObjServ (Object Server or Objectionable Server ;-)
at the moment.

Thanks for your comments so far, food for thought!

73
Mike