[aprssig] Announcing Events - Etiquette

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Jan 25 17:43:48 EST 2014

On 1/25/2014 3:27 PM, Andrew P. wrote:
> Assuming, of course, that you are using AGWPE or DireWolf, instead of a
> hardware TNC or radio with built-in TNC.

Not true!

It is apparently not well known that the sound card "soft TNC" is only one
small part of AGWpe.    It is also a serial port manager that can address up to
16 physical or virtual com ports from hardware or software KISS TNCs
simultaneously.

It behaves something like an logical Ethernet switch (or for you analog types,
something like a distribution amp for serial data) sharing TNC data with
multiple applications simultaneously.

AGWpe maps individual data streams from single- or dual-port TNCs to logical
IP-based ports that can then be shared with as many TNC-using packet or APRS
applications simultaneously as desired.   It can even split the multiple data
streams on dual-port TNCs like KAMs coming in on one physical port, into
separate logical streams.

Properly-implemented AGWpe clients have a "port mask" dialog where you select
which of the up to 16 logical ports the app should respond to.

At times, I have had APRS Plus, UIview, APRSpoint, UI-Instant Messenger,
UI-Events and UI-Instant messenger all running off a single dual-port TNC
simultaneously.

The API for AGWpe is documented and available to developers.  The starting
point is here:
     <http://www.sv2agw.com/ham/develop_winsock.htm>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:   14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm

High Performance Sound Systems for Soundcard Apps
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/imic.htm
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/uca202.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths