[aprssig] How To Use APRS With Some Peace Of Mind - SOB

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Jan 20 15:43:40 EST 2014

On Jan 20, 2014, at 3:13 PM, qrv at kd4e.com wrote:

> I was able to get info about the home town of fellow
> employees freely and easily online back in the 90's.
> Enough so that one could pretend to have lived there.
> The purpose was to make them aware and cautious.

Exactly. My concern was that some might think hiding their FCC address makes them safer. But a criminal smart enough to search the FCC database will be far more likely to search google or the county clerk sites which have info on everyone. There is info out there on everyone that cannot be hidden; you have to act like everyone in the world knows all this information.

> Some thought given to broadcasting real-time location
> data via APRS makes good sense.

Thought should be given to everything, but with consideration of both sides.

Turning on position ambiguity means that if your vehicle is stolen APRS can be of little help in finding it. Over the 19 years this sig has been around I can’t recall a single adverse event but there have been several high profile recoveries.

Steve K4HG