[aprssig] Confused About Setting APRS Path On FT1D

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Feb 25 15:56:09 EST 2014

On 2/25/2014 11:33 AM, n4lbl wrote:
> I hope that this is the correct venue for my question.  I've had no replies on
> a Yaesu specific list-server.

<SNIP>

> When I think I set the path to wide1-1,wide2-1 (menu 9, 18, p3) the message is:
> 2014-02-22 19:22:31 MST: *N4LBL-7
> <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=N4LBL-7>*>SXTUXS,WIDE1*,qAR,KD0SFY
> <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=KD0SFY>:`pMOl 0k/`"Hl}_$
> hence I believe my path is still wide1-1.
>
> Am I correct when I say I am only producing wide1-1 packets??  If I am then
> I'll call Yaesu support and have them either hold my hand to show me how to set
> it right or have them correct their code.  Any other suggestions?

This is operating perfectly normally!

Just because you place several hops into your path setting DOESN'T mean all of
them will get used.    Hops are used SEQUENTIALLY by digipeaters.  The first
digi you reach uses up the first hop (WIDE1-1).   Other digis farther away
would hear the first digi, and retransmit the packet again using the WIDE2-1
hop. Note that several different digis in different directions may hear the
first hop simultaneously, and all process the WIDE2-1 second hop at the same time.

In this case, the first hop (WIDE1-1) was enough to get you within earshot of
an igate that passed your packet to the Internet.

The "WIDE1-1*" just before the "qar" is the first hop in your specified path
marked as "used up" by the digipeater.  (The asterisk means "this hop already
used".)     The second hop ("WIDE2-1") never got used in this case.    Or it
may have been used by digipeaters farther away that in turn were heard by other
igates even farther away.

But since "first man in wins" with a given packet on the APRS Internet System,
any copies of your packet heard later by more distant igates got tossed out as
duplicates.

The only way to know for sure is to listen OFF THE AIR, not the Internet.

The "KD0SFY" after the qar is the call of the igate that injected your off-air
signal into the Internet.

For details on how this pathing works, and an animated demonstration diagram of
multi-hop digipeating,  see my website at:

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:   14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm

High Performance Sound Systems for Soundcard Apps
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/imic.htm
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/uca202.htm