[aprssig] How to detect silent/stealth digis/Igates?

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 10:57:43 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 7:45 AM, Andrew P. <andrewemt at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings, all.
>
> How can one detect if a 'stealth' (non-beaconing) digi is working? I just got assigned to keep track of my county ARES group's digipeaters, and I'd like to find a quick way to test them for operation without having to do site visits.

The only clue you gave us to their configuration is that they don't
beacon, so we know they have a non-standard configuration. Some more
information about their configuration needs to be known before we can
describe how they will behave during a test.

Here's one tip for now: If driving to the base of the tower for a
test, you will fail to test the receivers sensitivity. A better test
would be reception of a transmission from the boundary of the intended
coverage area.

Tom KD7LXL