[aprssig] How to detect silent/stealth digis/Igates?

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 20 10:45:12 EST 2014

Greetings, all.

How can one detect if a 'stealth' (non-beaconing) digi is working? I just got assigned to keep track of my county ARES group's digipeaters, and I'd like to find a quick way to test them for operation without having to do site visits.

At the present time, I'm assuming I'm going to have to drive near enough to each one to have direct RF contact, and then send something they would have to respond to. But what does every digi have to respond to in its own callsign (not some other station being relayed)? I haven't had any luck yet using ?APRST queries.

I know at least one of them is a KamPLUS (I got to eyeball it at the EOC yesterday); not sure about the rest.

Any advice would be welcome.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO